Generous U is a national contest to increase philanthropy and philanthropic values on U.S. college campuses. Student groups are invited to compete for the $10,000 Sillerman Prize and the Generous U title. The competition is judged on YouTube videos and essays submitted by college and graduate students eligible to receive the prize through the university.
Please fill out your intent to apply prior to submitting your application.
Please tell us how you have increased the practice and awareness of philanthropy or charitable giving of one’s own financial resources on your campus in a written submission that includes the following elements:
1. Cover sheet containing:
- university or college name
- group, club, or organization name
- group, club, or organization web site (if applicable)
- contact person’s name, email address, and phone number
- name and contact information for a college or university official who can confirm your status as a formal group, club, or organization eligible to receive the $5,000 Sillerman Prize
2. A 3-5 page essay containing the following elements. Please provide a header for each section:
- your mission or purpose (For what purpose was your group established?)
- your organizational structure (How are you organized and how do you manage yourselves?)
- motivation for promoting philanthropic practice and awareness on your campus (How does giving relate to your mission or purpose?)
- strategy and activities (How do your promote philanthropic practice and awareness on your campus?)
- results (What impact does your work have on students and on the community? How do you know? For early stage activities, please describe your anticipated results and how you plan to measure them.)
- budget for your philanthropy-related activities (Only include general operating expenses if your philanthropy-related activities constitute a significant portion of your work overall.)
- sustainability plan (How will you keep students engaged and continue funding your activities over time?)
- lessons learned (What have you learned that will help you increase your effectiveness in the future or help other organizations adopt this activity on their campuses?)
3. A 3-minute video that tells us your story. Your video should reflect the personality and passion of your group, club, or organization. This video MUST be created for Generous U; however, you are welcome to submit a supplemental professionally made video along with your application. Please tell us:
- Who you are.
- What you care about.
- How philanthropy and charitable giving factor into your commitment to making a difference.
- What you do.
- How your work has influenced your peers’ giving and philanthropic awareness.
- How your work has impacted your campus and benefited the community.
- What your success has meant to you.
- Why your work should be considered a national model.
4. A letter confirming your status as a recognized student club, group, or organization on campus from a college or university official.
Submission: Please follow this link and submit all parts no later than 5 p.m. EST on Friday, March 3, 2014.
Please note that while the Sillerman Center deeply respects volunteerism and community service, we will only consider activities designed to promote broad participation in the giving of one’s own financial resources. If you have any questions, please email us at GenerousU@brandeis.edu.